Saturday, January 9, 2010

So... On the computer front: we're golden. On the skiing front: not so golden... more towards rusty, dingy, and non-recognizable.

First off, if you are ever in Florence finding yourself in a computer related issue, go to Dataport. I am on my same old computer I've had for the past few years... feeling like its a brand new mac running late from Santa. I now have a new hard drive with triple the memory capacity, brand new and most recent edition software, photoshop, and lots of other suprise goodies.

Secondly, if you ever plan on going on a ski weekend while in Italy... check the weather first.

After days of 'maybe's, research, and trips to Umbria to gather ski equipment, my family and I finally set out to Abetone, Italy for a weekend trip of skiing. On arrival, Abetone was absolutely beautiful; Sun shining, snow falling, and skiers skiing.

After pulling in to town, we quickly found the dingy, ugly, brown building our reservations were housed in, the 'Grand Duca'. The family viewed the stained carpets, front desk man who resembled Lurch (hump and all), closet style elevator, lack of fire escapes, and attic-resembling rooms before making the decision to move on. Not before giving the residence the nickname of "The Grand Du ca-ca"... of course.

Several grim residences that called themselves hotels later, we found ourselves at the bottom of the hill that housed The Bellavista. This was exactly what we had wanted and needed. Incredibly impressed, we booked the rooms and moved on in. My two sisters and I had one room, while my dad and step-mom had another. It was perfect. Not to mention, by this time it was dinner. Our rooms included all meals, although apprehensive I was excited to see what 'all inclusive' really meant. The food was home-made, family style, and delicious. The vacation was starting off to really be as perfect as expected.

After a long day, we were all tired and ready for bed. So we headed off to our respected rooms.

The next morning, I woke up to about a foot of fresh powder. Heaven.

At breakfast, the rain came. At first it started off slow, then speedily picked up and turned into torrential rains. With the rain, came disappointment and canceled plans.

After waiting all morning and all hopes being brought down when checking the weather reports for the rest of the weekend... dad and step-mom decided the trip was a bust and it was time to pack up and head out. The weather was too awful and destructive to the slopes and roads for us to wait any longer. So after lunch and the packing of the bags, we piled in the car and headed back to Florence.

So now all that is left to do, is get ready for Paris!!

I had a moment of disappointment when I realized that we were going to Paris the very same days that Pitti Uomo (Men's Fashion Week) was being held in Florence... But oh my my, poor me, I'll be in PARIS!!! Dad and I leave on Tuesday and I couldn't be more excited.

I hope that you are all well and braving the cold in the states.

Cheers to fireplaces.

x o D

No comments:

Post a Comment